CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
15th ANNUAL WRITING FOR CHILDREN COMPETITION
The Writers’ Union of Canada is pleased to announce that submissions are being accepted until April 24, 2011, for the 2011 WRITING FOR CHILDREN COMPETITION. The winning entry will be the best Canadian children’s story of 1,500 words in the English language, written by an unpublished author.
$1,500 for the winning entry and the entries of the winner and finalists will be submitted to three Canadian children’s publishers.
This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and landed immigrants who have not had a book published by a commercial or university press in any genre and who do not currently have a contract with a book publisher. Original (English language) fiction or nonfiction, up to 1,500 words, not published in any format.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES:
· Entries should be typed, double-spaced, and numbered on 8.5 x 11 paper, not stapled. Do not send entries that have only a few sentences per page.
· Illustrations are not accepted.
· Electronic submissions will not be accepted.
· Include a separate cover letter with title of story, full name, address, phone number, e-mail, word count, and number of pages of entry.
· Please type the name of entrant and the title of entry on each numbered page. This is not a blind competition.
· Make cheque or money order payable to The Writers’ Union of Canada. Multiple entries can be submitted together and fees can be added and paid with one cheque or money order, $15 per submission.
· Entries must be postmarked by APRIL 24, 2011 to be eligible.
· Mail entries to: WFC Competition, The Writers’ Union of Canada, 90 Richmond Street East, Suite 200, Toronto, ON M5C 1P1.
Results will be posted at www.writersunion.ca in July 2011. Manuscripts will not be returned.